Tuesday, July 15, 2008

From which I've stolen...


This would be the Pauline Kael book from which I stole my show's title. Excellent read, as is most of the late Ms. Kael's criticism. If you can find it, read it.

Here at "Reeling," I use the four-star rating system (what I think is the easiest and fairest of the rating systems; five-star is bogus which ever way you look at it - I don't mind letter-grading, though).

Watched Scott Frank's directorial debut THE LOOKOUT last weekend. Well photographed and sometimes sharply written, it all feels a bit like a screenwriter made it (ahem, David Koepp). Joseph Gordon-Levitt continues to show promise as a younger leading man with this and the superior BRICK, but once you jump on his bandwagon, his protagonists become extremely unlikable. Strong supporting performance from MATCH POINT's Matthew Goode as bad guy bankrobber Gary Spargo. Sad they wasted a good Jeff Daniels beard, and what purpose has the seemingly talented Isla Fisher (flashes in WEDDING CRASHERS) really served in any movie at this point? - ***

No comments: